CAMBRIDGE FOLK FESTIVAL 2009

CAMBRIDGE FOLK FESTIVAL 2009

Thursday, May 14, 2009

2009 Celebration of The Arts


*Top Photo Left to Right : Mabry Miller, Hugh Williams, Al Sella, BNC, Ward Swingle, and Dot Moore *

On May 13th I was honored to be the recipient of the "Distinguished Artist Award" at the "Celebration of the Arts", a black-tie event hosted by the Alabama State Council on the Arts at the Montgomery Arts Centre.

Ward Swingle, who received the "Govenor's Award", founded the "Swingle Singers" in the 1960's introducing the world to a new musical style of a capella performance which bears his name. Each of these award winners had an amazing story. I was so thrilled to be counted among them! And I was especially grateful that I was able to attend. Although I wasn't allowed to stay up and party afterward. I had to go straight to bed! But at least I got to be there.

Among the surprises was my dear friend Rodney Crowell who came to sing "Sand & Water" at the presentation. His version of it was so touching...as it was Rodney who was the first person who ever heard that song and who subsequently produced the record "Sand & Water".

It meant so much to me to see him waltz out on stage...my face hurt from smiling so hard!
And then that was followed with my son Ernest singing his version of "Say Goodnight Not Goodbye". That just did me in....you can see how miserable I look here!!:)

No comments: